To gear up for summer this year, I decided to try
something new to me: Juicing 'Til Dinner!
Being someone who
struggles with the amount of willpower necessary to complete a true
juice fast, I thought this would be a great alternative. Many of you
who have fast paced lives, kids, or just don't want to go long periods
of time without eating, may find that this could work for you too.
is a fantastic way to cleanse, detox, and reset bad eating habits. If
you've made one too many phone calls to pizza hut or your favorite
Chinese take-out, you know what I mean. Interestingly enough, it's also a really great way to prepare for a photoshoot! A Juice Till Dinner, whether you do it for one day, three days, or many more, you will feel slimmer and re-energized, perfect for a photoshoot.
How To Begin
You will consume only fresh fruit and veggie juices until dinner. There is no specific time you need to eat dinner, just follow your own schedule. When dinner rolls around, you will probably be ready to jump into a big bowl of pasta or a grilled cheese sandwich, but here comes the hard truth: keep your dinner light and mostly raw! Yes, I know that this may seem like a challenge. Don't worry, the first couple of days are the hardest. My mantra: the food will always be there (and it will taste so much better when you've accomplished your goal)!
Step 1: Lemon + Water
Start off each morning with an 8oz. glass of warm water (or room temperature) with a few slices/squeezes of lemon. The lemon acts as an alkalizing element and a mini cleanse for your body. Drink many glasses throughout the day.
Step 2: Apple + Ginger Shot
Get out the juicer and throw in half of an apple (preferably a green apple as they contain less sugar) and an inch long piece of ginger. This will produce a shot of intense but oh-so-worth-it juice. The ginger is a natural antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. You can mix this step up by substituting other roots instead of ginger, such as turmeric.
Step 3: The Juices
There are so many directions you can go in here. Be creative! Try anything and everything. Walk into your grocery store, go to the produce section and STAY THERE. I will typically consume 3-4 juices throughout the day before dinner, so plan your shopping list accordingly.
Step 4: Dinner
It's here! Let the luxurious act of chewing begin! Have you missed it? You have many options for this meal, but just remember the two rules: keep it LIGHT and MOSTLY RAW. Small portions of beans/lentils/lean fish/tofu are allowed if you feel you need a bit more sustenance. Stay away from heavy meats/breads, the goal of juicing 'til dinner is to give your digestive system a rest.
1. Only one fruit juice per day is recommended. After your ginger + apple shot, start your morning off with things like carrot, apple, and beet, or orange, lime, celery, cucumber, and carrot. These will make a sweeter juice that immediately gets you going. The rest of your juices should contain only vegetables, this will limit your sugar intake.
2. If a green juice seems too daunting, throw in ONE apple to sweeten it up a bit. Work your way toward all veggie juices.
3. Aim for 16-20 oz. of liquid per juice. This will seriously fill you up and leave you feeling like you are getting all the nutrients you need. Goodbye cravings!
4. Push your leafy greens through your juicer with cucumber. Juicers love cucumber!
5. Juicers: There are oh-so-many. I recommend Jack La Lanne's juicer or a Breville juicer.
6. Make it easy on yourself by washing all your fruits and veggies when you get them home, pre-cutting them and storing them in one gallon zip-lock bags. This means no excuses when you're too tired in the morning to make a juice!
7. Store your chopped up carrots submerged in water. I have two one gallon bags filled with water and carrots in my fridge at all times. The water helps them stay fresh longer, and maintains their crispiness! It's actually pretty amazing, try this: leave a few carrots on the counter for two days. When they start to get limp, submerge them in water in your fridge and watch as they bounce back!
Good luck to you! Follow this plan for 5-7 days and you will de-bloat, flood your body with essential nutrients, and be ready to strut your stuff in your photoshoot.
Please leave comments on how you're doing!